The Admissions Process – Hudson College
Our admissions process helps student candidates and their parents become familiar with Hudson, our programmes and our educational philosophy. Listed below are the five main steps for Admission.
Step One: Getting to know you!
- The first step is to visit us at one of our open house dates throughout the fall and winter. An open house is a great first step as it allows you to have a tour with one of our student ambassadors and to speak with our leadership team and teaching staff.
- Visit our website and fill out an Online Inquiry Form to register for an event and receive our Admission Information Package.
- As a follow up step, we are happy to book a weekday tour and meeting with you. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.
Step Two: Application for Admission
We recommend that the application for admission is submitted no earlier than November and no later than January for acceptance to the following academic year. This will ensure that space is available. Applications will be accepted after January for the following academic year but as acceptance and offers are issued on a rolling basis there is the possibility that classes will be at capacity. Hudson will always welcome an application for admission as long as there is space available and we have determined that Hudson offers the best learning environment for the student.
The application documents include the following:
- Completed Application for Admission with a photo of the student attached
- Final report cards for the previous two academic years (June / end-of-year reports)
- A current mid-term report (if applicable)
- Any educational assessments and/or evaluations (including IEP’s)
- A Developmental History Form (filled by parents applying for JK and SK only)
- The Student Information Sheet (this personal response is for Grades 9 – 12 only)
- A Confidential Teacher Report sent directly to Hudson College in a sealed envelope or electronically
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate and certificate of immunization
- A $200 Application Fee
Any request for tuition assistance or scholarships MUST be made when submitting an application for admission. Financial Assistance Applications are made through Apple Financial Services, a third-party service that makes a recommendation based on financial need. Their service is professional and confidential. Hudson will take the recommendation into consideration but is not bound by Apple’s results. Visit www.applefinancialservices.ca for more information. Applications for financial assistance must be made on a yearly basis.
Scholarship applications are available upon request from the Admissions Office. The results of these applications will be discussed on a case-by-case basis, if an offer is given to the student.
Step Three: Student Visit Day/Interview/Assessment Process
Once we have received the completed application with all supporting documents, an Admissions Associate will contact families to arrange for the visit day and assessment.
A visit day is required for students entering JK – Grade 8; on their visit day these students will complete an in-house entrance assessment. Students applying for JK and SK will complete a Ready for Kindergarten checklist as a part of their visit day.
Students applying for Grade 9 will complete an entrance assessment and an interview with Admissions staff and/or the Principal of the Upper School. Students in Grade 10 and above will have an interview with Admissions staff and/or with the Principal of the Upper School.
Step Four: Results and Next Steps
The results of the visit day are communicated in a parent meeting at the end of the visit day for students entering JK – Grade 8. For students applying for the Upper School (Grades 9 – 12), we will telephone and/or email you within two weeks of your interview/visit/assessment to communicate next steps.
We request that families make their final decisions with respect to accepting the written offer within a two-week timeframe. As Hudson offers placements on a rolling basis, we need to know how many spaces we can continue to offer to waiting families.
Step Five: Registration
Once a written offer of admission has been made, you will receive an Admissions Acceptance Package by mail and by email. Once you have had a chance to review this package, please contact the Admission Office to book your registration meeting. Kindly have all registration forms and financial information ready for this meeting.
You will receive your Admissions Information Kit at this meeting. This Kit contains information regarding the important details you will need to know as a part of the Hudson family!
Limited space is available for the 2017-18 academic year. Please contact the admissions office for more information.